Columbus Monuments Pages

Cuba
Colón
Matanzas

Parque La Libertad

Cristóbal Colón

Christopher Columbus

Miguel Melero
Talleres de Armstrong y Estapé (Colón)
1892

Colón /  Cristóbal Colón

Description

Bronze statue, about 2.5 meter heigh, of Columbus leaning on an anchor and a capstan, pointing to the newly discovered land. On the base the word:
TIERRA

The base of the statue has four lions. On the front a dedicatory tablet and on the back a tablet with portrait of Juan de la Cosa.

Inscription(s)

esta vila
a
CRISTOBAL COLON
siendo alcalde municipal
d. hilario perez y ruiz
1892

Signed: escultor celestino castro
Talleres de Armstrong y Estapé, Colón

a la memoria
del ilustre cartografo
y piloto don juan de la
cosa y del camino, hijo
de santoña, santander.
sus comprovincianos.
1892.

Signed: Iniciador Ulpiano Aedo

Signed: J. MARCIAL - Talleres de Armstrong y Estapé, Colón

Annotation

The original name of the town was Nueva Bermeja, In 1855 the name was changed to Colón. The bronze for the statue has been donated by the planters of the District of Colon, and the statue has cast in the foundry of the town of Colon, by Messrs. Armstrong & Estapé.

Miguel Melero designed the complete monument, including the pedestal, the stirrups, the sculpture of Columbus, lions and two stone tablets. It is said that he used his 22 year old son Aurelio as the model for the statue.

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location N 22°42'52" W 80°54'27"

eXTReMe Tracker

Item Code: cu006; Added: 21 May 2006  / Updated: 9 January 2011

© Website: René & Peter van der Krogt