Monasterio de Santa María de las Cuevas - La Cartuja
Estatua de Cristóbal Colón en La Cartuja
Christopher Columbus in La Cartuja
Columbus has his right hand resting on a globe, placed on a column, and holds a scroll of parchment in his left hand.
The base of this monument is of encaustic tiles manufactured on the spot. From it rises a pedestal of Carrara marblel.
On the front of the monument:
EN MEMORIA DE
HABER ESTADO DEPOSITADAS
SUS CENIZAS DESDE EL AÑO
MDXIII A MDXXXVI
EN LA IGLESIA DE ESTA
DE LAS CUEVAS
LA MARQUESA VIUDA DE
ERIGIO ESTE MONUMENTO EN
To Christopher Columbus, in memory of his remains having been deposited here from the year 1513 to 1536 in the church of this Cartuja of Santa Maria, this monument has been erected by the Dowager Marchioness of Pickman in 1887.
This monument is erected by the Dowager Marchioness of Pickman in the old building of the Cartuja over the spot where his remains were once interred.
- Do you know who the sculptor is? please let us know.
Sources & Information
Location (N 37°23'53" - W 6°0'29")
Item Code: esan044;
Added: 21 May 2006
/ Photograph: 14 March 2002
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt