Avenida Las Américas
(Plaza de Armas)
Monumento a Colón
Statue of Columbus standing on a globe, kept by three or four figures standing on a stone globe. The statue is six and a half meters high. The upper globe shows the coat of arms of Spain and the text PLUS ULTRA 12 OCTUBRE 1492, the lower the name CRISTOBAL COLON.
Signed: GUTTA CAVAT LAREDO (?)
This monument was erected in 1896 by Tomas Mur in commemoration of the 400 years (at that time) since the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus. The statue was inaugurated on 3 July 1896 at the Plaza Mayor de Guatemala, opposite Catedral Metropolitana. Forty years later, it was moved to Morazan park, and in 1973 to the Avenida de las Americas, where it sits now.
This monument on postcards
This monument on stamps
Sources & Information
- Photo: Alberto Orellana, 28 Feb 2009. See Alberto Orellana's photos on Panoramio.
- and by Ron van Meer, Guatemala City, 9 June 2002.
- Stamp, collection of Alex Borgogno.
- Historia de Guatemala - Descubrimiento de America (website gone)
Location (N 14°34'47" - W 90°31'20")
Item Code: gt002;
Added: 19 August 2003
/ Updated: 9 January 2011
© Website: René & Peter van der Krogt