Italia

Columbus Monuments Pages

Site Search:
Moconesi
Genova (prov.)

Terrarossa Colombo

Lapide commemorativa del 500° anniversario

Plaque 500th Anniversary


1992

Moconesi /  Lapide commemorativa del 500° anniversario   Moconesi /  Lapide commemorativa del 500° anniversario

Description

In the old hamlet of Terrarossa Colombo we find this plaque.

Inscription(s)

TRA QUESTE ANTICHI MURA
VISSERO
PRIMA DI TRASFERIRSI A QUINTO
GLI AVI DI
CRISTOFORO COLOMBO
Da qui ebbe inizio il lungo viaggio
conclusosi nel nuovo mondo
il 12 ottobre 1492
Posta questa targa del COMUNE di MOCONESI nel 500' ANNIVERSARIO
Translation:
Within these ancient walls lived the forebears of Columbus, before they settled in Quinto. Here began the long voyage which ended in the New World on October 12 1492 (Commemoration Plaque placed by the City of Moconesi on the 500' Anniversary).

Moconesi

Moconesi, a municipality consisting of several villages and hamlets in the valley of the Lavagna is the place where Columbus's ancestors lived. The village is mentioned in the document of April 21, 1429: it is the birthplace of Christopher's grandfather, Giovanni Columbus.

The hamlet where the Columbus ancestral house is located is named Terrarossa. At the occasion of the 400th aniversary of the discovery of America the hamlet is officially renamed "Terrarossa Colombo".

Here we find the following memorials:

  1. Columbus ancestral home at the west end of the hamlet.
  2. A plaque on one of the walls of the old hamlet.
  3. A plaque on the provincial road of 1889.
  4. A modern art monument opposite the 1889 plaque.

    Furthermore, in the village of Ferrada (also belonging to Moconesi) is:

  5. a fresco on the house on Via C. Colombo 53.
Here is a interactive map with the locations of the memorials.

There are three other monuments in the Lavagna valley: in Cicagna, San Colombano Certenoli, and Lavagna respectively.

Sources & Information

Tags

Locatie (N 44°25'27" - E 9°12'4")

eXTReMe Tracker

Item Code: itli037; Added: 11 August 2001  / Photograph: 11 August 2001

© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt