United States

Columbus Monuments Pages

Site Search:
Tampa
Florida

Bayshore Boulevard at Platt Street Bridge
(Columbus Statue Park)

Christopher Columbus

Albert Sabas
1953

Tampa /  Christopher Columbus   Tampa /  Christopher Columbus

Description

Statue of Columbus holding a sword in his left hand and an oar in his right hand. He stands on a tall base on which his ships, the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria are incised. Behind him stands a coiled spool of marine rope.

Inscription(s)

the caravel
nina
this memorial erected by
contributions from
patriotic americans
christopher columbus the caravel
pinta
monument committee
curtis hixon, mayor & exo.ch
charles g. spicola, chairman
homer w. hesterly, vice ch.
franklin o. adams, jr., architect
albert sabas, sculptor
the flagship
santa maria
sponsored by
rotary club of ybor city
dedicated oct. 12, 1953

Annotation

Commissioned by the Ybor City Rotary Club for $5,000. The idea was conceived in 1951 during the Club's observance of the 459th anniversary of the discovery of America. The design was inspired by a picture of Columbus on a rum bottle.

The monument is mentioned in the song Ybor Way, first line "By the old Columbus statue lookin' westward from the key,...", by T.W, Ramsay, 1959.

Maybe another statue is in the Tampa Theatre: The architectural design has been described as "Florida Mediterranean," which includes touches of Italian Renaissance, Byzantine, Spanish, Mediterranean, Greek Revival, Baroque, and even English Tudor. Statues of Greek and Roman mythological figures (plus one of Christopher Columbus) are tucked in alcoves around the proscenium. By the way, a replica of Columbus' Santa Maria sits on a chest in the rear of the auditorium.

P.S. I haven't found the date for this statue, but Hixon was mayor from 1943 until his death in 1956.

This monument on postcards

Click here for the postcard(s) and enlargement(s)

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Locatie (N 27°56'28" - W 82°27'33")

eXTReMe Tracker

Item Code: usfl05; Added: 7 December 2006  / Updated: 25 November 2010

© Website: René & Peter van der Krogt