Marble life-size of Columbus as a sailor with a mantle thrown over the shoulder and with his hand upon a ship's tiller.
The sculpture was a gift to the city in 1892, paid for by public subscription. The funds were collected in 1892, but the sculpture was not installed until two years later. It is a copy of a work located in Madrid. The base was designed by Aymar Embury II in l934
Stands in front of Supreme Court building.
Alex Borgono wrote that the promotor was John La Corte, founder of the Italian Historical Society of America and that is was unveiled in 1991 by Ed Koch, mayor of New York. Probably this concerns the Columbus Park, in which the statue is located.
- Emma Stebbins (1815-1882),
Sources & Information
- NIAF, Tributes to Christopher Columbus in the United States.
- Néstor Ponce de León, The Columbus Gallery (New York, 1893), p. 122.
- J.M. Dickey, Christopher Columbus and his Monument Columbia (1892), p. 281.
- Alex Borgogno, "Monuments of Columbus." Discovery! Journal of the Christopher Columbus Philatelic Society vol. 18, no. 1 (12 Jan. 2000): 1235.
- Smithsonian American Art Museum, SIRIS (Smithsonian Institution Research Information system).
Location (N 40°41'38" - W 73°59'23")
Item Code: usny33;
Added: 18 October 2001
/ Photograph: 18 October 2001
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt