Columbus Monuments Pages
Christopher Columbus at State House
W. H. Mullins Company
|West side||East side||North side||South side|
|Christopher Columbus, an Italian navigator, launched four voyages of discovery to the new world.||Donated by the Josephinum to the State of Ohio. This statue was relocated to Capitol Square.||
The fountain honors Ohio's sister state bond with Liguria, Italy, the navigator's home.
||The Pontifical College Josephinum commissioned this statue from the W. H. Mullins studio.|
|West side||South side||East side||North side|
the spirit of discovery
has the power to change
the course of human history
as demonstrated by
the voyages of
shattered the boundaries
of the western world
Modern history has been shaped by
one man's courage to pursue a dream.
A dream shared
by later generations
who explored a vast continent
where freedom and opportunity
beckoned to those with
the courage and immagination
to venture westward.
Westward into Ohio
came the successors
to the spirit of Columbus,
naming the capitol city
of the new state
after the man who symbolized the spirit of the frontierů
by later generations of Ohioans
extend beyond land and water
to a new world
remains to be unlocked
by the spirit of discovery.
Christopher Columbus Discovery Plaza.
Located along the south side of the Statehouse, this 1892 statue by Alphons Pelzer was commissioned by Monsignor Joseph Jessing for display at the Pontifical College Josephinum courtyard (at 821 E. Main Street). It was moved to the Statehouse in 1932, a gift to the State when the Josephinum moved to Worthington.
The statue is similar to those in Peoria, Ill., and Phillipsburg, N.J.
Item Code: usoh07; Added: 26 November 2006 / Updated: 21 November 2010
© Website: René & Peter van der Krogt