Columbus Monuments Pages

United States of America
Columbus
Ohio

W Broad Street 90
(City Hall)

Christopher Columbus at City Hall

Edoardo Alfieri
1955

Columbus /  Christopher Columbus at City Hall

Description

Heroic sized portrait of Christopher Columbus. In his proper right hand he holds a rolled document while his proper left hand rests on his chest. He is dressed in a cloak.

Inscription(s)

Eduardo Alfiero Genova 1955
Micheluccio

(Bronze plaque on front of base:)

Christopher Columbus Gift of the kind citizens of Genoa, Italy, to the city which
so proudly bears the name of Columbus
"Testimonial of the values and virtues which the
figure and enterprise of the great son of Genoa has
entrusted to the human conscience."
Vittorio Pertusio
Mayor of Genoa
"We shall ever cherish and be guided by its
meaning."
M. E. Sensenbrenner
Mayor of Columbus
Dedicated October 12, 1955, before
100,000 grateful Americans

Annotation

The statue arrived in 1955 when it was donated to the city by the citizens of Genoa, Italy. Edoardo Alfieri, the sculptor, delivered the statue to Mayor M. E. "Jack" Sensenbrenner. The statue was dedicated with an estimated crowd of 200,000 on hand.

This monument on postcards

Click here for the postcard(s) and enlargement(s)

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 39°57'45" - W 83°0'12")

eXTReMe Tracker

Item Code: usoh08; Added: 11 August 2003

© Website: René & Peter van der Krogt