Statues - Hither & Thither

Austria
Wien
Wien (Land)

Burggarten (1.)

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Salzburg 1756-Wien 1791
prolific and influential composer of the Classical era
(Wikipedia)
Viktor Tilgner
1896

Wien /  Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart   Wien /  Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Description

Marble statue of Mozart with a music stand on a large marble pedestal on two sections, the upper sections with Mozart name and dates, with bronze and marble musical instruments; and on the lower section a relief with scenes from Don Giovanni, 'The Invitation" and 'The Stone Guest' respectively. On the sides are theatre masks and putti with music instruments.
On the back side is a relief showing the six year old Mozart at the piano, his father with the violin and his sister Nannerl singing (after a drawing by Louis Carrogis de Carmontelles).

In the lawn in front of the monument is a giant treble clef from plants.

(click on the photo for an enlargement in a separate window.)

Wien - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Scenes from Don Giovanni
Wien - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
treble clef from plants
Wien - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Wien - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Wien - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Six year old Mozart at the piano

Inscription(s)

MOZART
mdcclvi - mdccxci

das im jahr 1896 enthüllte mozartdenkmal stand ursprünglich
auf dem albertinaplatz und wurde nach restaurierung wegen
bombenschäden im frühjahr 1953 im burgarten neu aufgestellt

Signature

v. tilgner fec. / † 16 april 1896
laaser marmor ([made of] marble from Laas)

Annotation

Unveiled 21 April 1896 in the presence of the Emperor Franz Joseph I. The sculptor died five days before the unveiling, that is probably why this date is added to his signature.

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location N 48°12'14" E 16°21'53"

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: atwi027; Photograph: 9 September 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt