The historic Hafenmarkt tower was in the years 1929-1936 converted into a memorial to the fallen of the First World War, after designs of the architect Paul Bonatz. Later, memorials for the Second World War were added.
- The bas-relief in the tympan of the Gothic portal shows St. Michael with a sword, the text Ihre Opfer - Unser Leben, and below this a frieze with marching soldiers (to the left soldiers saying goodby to his family). This relief was created by sculptors Erwin Scheerer, Wilhelm Schäffer und Karl Dübbers.
- A relief by Wilhelm Schäffer with two soldiers of 1929 commemorates the dead of the First Battalion of the Reserve Infantry Regiment Nr. 121. This panel was originally attached to the Friedenskirche, in 1957 replaced to the Nikolai Church and later added to the Hafenmarkt Tower memorial. It is inscribed den gefallenen des | ii. batl. res. jnf. reg. 121 and signed schäffer 1929.
- At the north side of the tower after the Second World War a memorial was added to commemorate the missing soldiers of the 215th Infantry Divistion. This consists of three tablets, one with a soldier helping a wounded friend, one with a woman and child, and the central one with text.
- Karl Dübbers, German sculptor.
- Wilhelm Schäffer (Neckargartach 1891 - Heilbronn 1976),
- Erwin Scheerer (Ludwigsburg 1905 - Ludwigsburg 1984),
Sources & Information
Locatie (N 49°8'33" - E 9°13'14")
Item Code: debw195; Photograph: 29 September 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt