Deutschland

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Gotha
Lkr. Gotha

Thüringen

Schloßplatz 1
(Herzogliches Museum)

Skulpturen am Herzoglichen Museum

Sculptures at the Ducal Museum

artist unknown
1879

Gotha /  Skulpturen am Herzoglichen Museum   Gotha /  Skulpturen am Herzoglichen Museum

Description

The front façade of the Ducal Museum, built in 1879 by the architect Franz von Neumann der Ältere (18151888) is adorned with four allegorical statues. On the corners of the attic are groups of figures symbolizing art and science. Two sandstone statues in the entrance portal, probably also representing science and art, welcome the visitor.

Gotha - Skulpturen am Herzoglichen Museum
Wissenschaft / Science
Woman with a book, flanked by two boys, 'natural history' with a pair of compasses and a skull and accompanied by a lion, and 'geology' with a geologist's hammer and a rock
Gotha - Skulpturen am Herzoglichen Museum
Kunst / Art
Woman with a drawing tablet, flanked by two boys, 'sculpture' holding a statuette and 'painting' with a painter's palette
Gotha - Skulpturen am Herzoglichen Museum
Woman with a book.
Gotha - Skulpturen am Herzoglichen Museum
Woman with a laurel wreath

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Locatie (N 50°56'37" - E 10°42'20")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: deth135; Photograph: 11 October 2018
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt