Stone statue on a high pedestal with reliefs:
- Trade: Woman with caduceus and a ship in the background.
- Industry: Woman with a wool spindle and a spinning wheel in the background.
- Agriculture: Woman with grapes and corn.
coat of arms of Barcelona
GVELL Y FERRER
The original monument from 1888 included a bronze statue, by Rossend Nobas, on a richly decorated pedestal with allegorical statues by Torquat Tasso, Eduard Alentorn, Maximí Sala and Pere Pagès. In 1936 the monument was destroyed. The sculptor Frederic Marès made an almost identical statue of stone, but the pedestal was made much more simple.
A relief showing the original monument is on the Monument a Rius i Taulet in Barcelona.
- Frederic Marès i Deulovol (Portbou 1893 - Barcelona 1991),
- Rossend Nobas i Ballbé (Barcelona, 1838-1891),
Sources & Information
Locatie (N 41°23'19" - E 2°10'2")
Item Code: escy068; Photograph: 6 September 2011
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt