Large stone relief showing the coat of arms of Barentin, an icosahedron (drawn by Da Vinci), an anchor, an unkwon object, a globe, a sextant, and a mask.
HOMMAGE aux BATELIERS
par p.e. bouret
The building was originally the Louis Pergaud School for children whose parents has non-sedentary occupations as the ones depicted on the relief. Presently the building is the Centre Culturel 'La Pergola'.
Barentin - Musée dans la Rue
Barentin "City of Arts", a town of 13,000 inhabitants, has hundreds of sculptures scattered throughout the town in its "street museum". Initiator of the "street museum" is the lawyer and politician André Marie (Honfleur 1897 - Rouen 1974, Wikipedia), who was mayor of Barentin from 1945 to 1974 and minister of national education. The town continues his initiative under the leadership of Michel Bentot, Mayor since 1990, with the purchase, maintenance and restoration of the sculptures, paintings and monuments.
The exact number of sculptures is difficult to find out. The book Images de Barentin of 2006 lists 312 sculptures, 110 of which are in public space (at present, there are at least 328 sculptures). The 110 sculptures 'on the street' include a few buildings and architectural features, among them the famous train viaduct. Included on our website are 93 of these 110. But, we included six sculptures not in public space (on school yards), listed in the book as not in public space, and two sculptures which are not in the book. That means that there are 101 sculptures in Barentin on our website.
Click here for a interactive map with the locations of the sculptures.
Each sculpture has a blue tile with the name, the sculptor and the reference number. Between 2001 and 2014 all sculptures have been restored, reports about the restaurations are in the Ensemble Barentin, Bulletin municipal officiel (on-line).
Jean-Marie Grisel & Jean-Pierre Dugelay, Images de Barentin, cité des arts: Le Musée dans la rue (Barentin: Ville de Barentin, 2006).
Barentin Cité des Arts, Patrimoine.
- Pierre Ernest Bouret (Paris 1897 - Sèvres 1972),
Location N 49°32'15" E 0°57'32"
Item Code: frhn137; Photograph: 31 July 2015
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt