Statues - Hither & Thither

France
Cambrai
Nord

Nord - Pas-de-Calais

Avenue de la Victoire
(Tour de la Cathedrale Notre-Dame-de-Grâce)

Notre Dame et les Quatre Évangelistes

Our Lady and the Four Evangelists

(artist?)
1876/77

Cambrai /  Notre Dame et les Quatre Évangelistes   Cambrai /  Notre Dame et les Quatre Évangelistes

Description

The clocktower of the Cathedral Notre-Dame-de-Grâce was built in 1876. It has on the top of the spire a copper statue of Our Lady, dating from 1877. This statue is 3.5 meters tall.

On the four corners of the top statues of the symbols of the Evangelists, each accompanied by a shield with the initials of the saint (SJ, SL, and twice SM).

Cambrai - Notre Dame et les Quatre Évangelistes
NW: 'SJ' Eagle (St. John the Evangelist).

Cambrai - Notre Dame et les Quatre Évangelistes
SW: 'SL' Bull (St. Luke).

Cambrai - Notre Dame et les Quatre Évangelistes
SE: 'SM' Lion (St. Mark)

Cambrai - Notre Dame et les Quatre Évangelistes
NE: 'SM' Angel (St. Matthew)

Below the top is on all four sides a circular window with a half figure relief of Saint Mary and Child, based on the 'Cambrai Madonna' - a 14th century replica of the Eleusa icon of the Virgin of Tenderness (Notre-Dame-de-Grâce) (Wikipedia). All four sides are identical.

Cambrai - Notre Dame et les Quatre Évangelistes
west

Cambrai - Notre Dame et les Quatre Évangelistes
south

Cambrai - Notre Dame et les Quatre Évangelistes
east

Cambrai - Notre Dame et les Quatre Évangelistes
north

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

  • Country: France
  • Evangelists (Four)
  • Façade with statues (church)
  • John the Evangelist, St.
  • Luke, St.
  • Mark, St.
  • Mary with Child
  • Mary, St.
  • Matthew, St.
  • Locatie (N 50°10'20" - E 3°13'59")

    eXTReMe Tracker
    Item Code: frnp079; Photograph: 17 October 2017
    Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
    If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
    © Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt