Magyarország

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Budapest
Budapest Főváros

Kossuth Lajos tér (V.)

Kossuth Lajos emlékmű

Lajos Kossuth Monument

Lajos Kossuth de Udvard et Kossuthfalva
Monok 1802 - Torino 1894
Hungarian lawyer, journalist, politician and Regent-President of the Kingdom of Hungary during the revolution of 1848-49
(Wikipedia)
Kisfaludi Strobl Zsigmond
1952

Budapest /  Kossuth Lajos emlékmű   Budapest /  Kossuth Lajos emlékmű

Description

5 m high bronze statue of Kossuth on a 4 m high pedestal with six other figures of 3.8 m high on the side wings. The total monuments is 11.5 m wide. The six figures are:

Budapest - Kossuth Lajos-emlékmű Budapest - Kossuth Lajos-emlékmű
The figures on the left side:
  1. Peasant woman with child
  2. Peasant man with hat in hand,
  3. Soldier.
Right side:
  1. Worker with rifle.
  2. Student with a sword (depicted is poet Sándor Petőfi).
  3. Armed horse herder in typical loose trousers.

Inscription(s)

KOSSUTH

Annotation

The Kossuth Memorial in front of the Hungarian Parliament Building is an important Hungarian national symbol and scene of official celebrations. It was officially inaugurated on 6 November 1927 by Governor Miklós Horthy before a crowd of 100 000 people.
Originally, there were carrara marble figures on the monument made by János Horvay. Lajos Kossuth in the center, flanked by the other members of the first Hungarian parliamentary government, Pál Eszterházy, Gábor Klauzál, József Eötvös, István Széchenyi, Prime Minister Lajos Batthyány, Bertalan Szemere, Ferenc Deák and Lázár Mészáros. Horvay's composition was totally misguided because Kossuth played only a minor constitutional role in the first cabinet. The press heavily criticised the melancholic atmosphere of the memorial and the sculpture remained unpopular.

In 1950 the government of Mátyás Rákosi, the Stalinist dictator of Hungary ordered the dismantling of the "pessimistic" memorial. Zsigmond Kisfaludi Strobl made a new bronze statue of Kossuth pointing towards a brighter future with a raised hand. The six other figures (among them poet Sándor Pet?fi) were made by András Kocsis and Lajos Ungváry. The plinth was clad with red marble blocks.

The new memorial was inaugurated in 1952.

The dismantled Horvay-group was given to the town of Dombóvár in 1959 where the figures were separately re-erected in 1973 in the City Park.

Budapest - Kossuth Lajos-emlékmű

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

  • Farmer`s wife
  • Kisfaludi Strobl Zsigmond
  • Kossuth, Lajos
  • Paardenherder
  • Petőfi, Sándor
  • Politician
  • Soldier
  • Statue
  • Student
  • Woman with child
  • Worker
  • Locatie (N 47°30'29" - E 19°2'50")

    eXTReMe Tracker
    Item Code: hubp010; Photograph: 7 September 2012
    Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
    If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
    © Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt