Magyarország

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Székesfehérvár
Fejér megye

Várfal Park

Püspökkút

Bishop's Fountain

Bory Jenő
Bory Pál (Székesfehérvár)
1928

Székesfehérvár /  Püspökkút   Székesfehérvár /  Püspökkút

Description

Column with a statue of a warrior from the time of Árpád with shield and sword, and in the Corinthian capital of the column are the symbols of the four evangelists Matthew (angel), Mark (lion), Luke (bull), John (Eagle). At the base are four statues of sitting or kneeling bishops, in a fountain basin with on the edge the coat of arms of Székesfehérvár.

The four bishops are:

(click on the photo for an enlargement in a separate window.)
Székesfehérvár - Püspökkút
1
Székesfehérvár - Püspökkút
2
Székesfehérvár - Püspökkút
3
Székesfehérvár - Püspökkút
4
  1. Boldog Mór / Saint Maurus of Pécs (c. 1000 - c. 1075), the first prelate who is known to have been born in the Kingdom of Hungary. He was abbot of the Benedictine Abbey of Pannonhalma from 1029 at the latest to 1036, and bishop of Pécs from 1036 until his death around 1075. He is canonized in 1848 - the caption under his statue thus should have been "Szent Mór" (Saint Maurus) instead of "Boldog Mór" (Blessed Maurus) (Wikipedia).
  2. Szent Adalbert, (c. 956 - 997), bishop of Prague and a missionary, was martyred in his efforts to convert the Baltic Prussians. Patron saint of Bohemia, Poland, Hungary and Prussia (Wikipedia). - He was first major missionary of the Hungarians and is depicted holding the bible with his left hand on his lap and making a blessing gesture with his right hand.
  3. Szent Gellért / Saint Gerard Sagredo (980 - 1046), Italian bishop from Venice, who operated in the Kingdom of Hungary (specifically in Budapest), and educated Saint Emeric, the son of Saint Stephen). He played a major role in converting Hungary to Christianity. He was the bishop of Csanád (Wikipedia). Depicted teaching Saint Emeric.
  4. Boldog Asztrik / Saint Astrik of Pannonhalma (d. ca. 1030/1040) companion of Saint Adalbert, first abbot of Pannonhalma Archabbey, founded by Géza. First archbishop of the Hungarian Church. Archbishop of Kalocsa. In 1001 Stephen was crowned king by Astrik (Wikipedia).

Inscription(s)

Signed: (Mór) Bory Jenő / 1928

Annotation

The fountain was placed in 1928 but replaced to the square in front of the railway station in 1937. After the war the statues of the bishops were removed, but fortunately preserved in the museum. In 1972 the fountain was restored and placed at the current location.

Székesfehérvár - Püspökkút

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

  • Astrik of Pannonhalma, St.
  • Bishop
  • Bory Pál (Székesfehérvár)
  • Bory Jenő
  • Evangelists (Four)
  • Gerard Sagredo, St.
  • Maurus of Pécs, St.
  • Statue
  • Warrior
  • Locatie (N 47°11'22" - E 18°24'31")

    eXTReMe Tracker
    Item Code: hufe021; Photograph: 8 September 2012
    Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
    If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
    © Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt