Column with a statue of the Maid of Erin with harp and anchor. Around the column is a band with the dates "98", "48" and "67". It stands in a triangular base with text plaques.
Erected by the Bandon
98 Centenary Association
to the memory of the irish patriots
of 1798, 1848, 1867
foundation stone laid on 26th dec
1898 god save ireland
who wants to
transcribe it for us?
They rose in dark and evil days
To right their native land
And kindled there a living blaze
That nothing shall withstand
The Memorial was erected on Bandon Bridge in 1901 on the foundation stone laid on 26th December 1989 which still remains on the bridge. The statue was pulled down in April 1921 and the shattered pieces were dumped in the river. A new figure of Italian marble on a column of Dublin granite was erected on the original plinth. The monument was dismantled and re-erected at its site in May 1986.