Italia

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Carpi
Modena (prov.)

Emilia-Romagna

Corso Manfredo Fanti 79
(Chiesa di Santa Chiara)

Statue dei Santi alla Chiesa di Santa Chiara

Saints' Statues at the Church of Saint Clare

artist unknown
17th century

Carpi /  Statue dei Santi alla Chiesa di Santa Chiara   Carpi /  Statue dei Santi alla Chiesa di Santa Chiara

Description

The 17th century façade of the church was designed by Clemente Cariani, and modified in 1845 by Claudio Rossi. In niches in the façade are two terracotta statues:

Carpi -
San Antonio da Padova / St. Anthony of Padua
born Fernando Martins de Bulhões, (Lisbon c. 1195 - Padua 1231), priest and friar of the Franciscan Order, known for his preaching and expert knowledge of scripture (Wikipedia).

Carpi -
San Bernardino da Siena / St. Bernardino of Siena
(Massa Maritima 1380 - Aquila 1444)
priest and Franciscan missionary
(Wikipedia).

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Locatie (N 44°47'7" - E 10°53'1")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: iter139; Photograph: 13 May 2017
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt