Pont de la Sūre
Leuven 1544 - Echternach 1607
abbot of Echternach and writer of a history of Luxembourg
Stone statue on the bridge.
with Bertels' coat-of-arms
Signed: ch kohl
This is the fourth statue of Bertels on the bridge:
- 1798 - statue from Bertels' tomb in the basilica placed on the bridge. Damaged and destroyed by vandals in the 1860s.
- 1883 - statue by Michel Deutsch. Destroyed in 1944.
- 1950 - statue by Heinrich Hamm. Because of damage removed in 1965. At present in a park in Echternach.
- the present statue by Charles Kohl.
The statue stands only a few meters from the Luxembourgian-German border, indicated on the bridge with a plaque, which you see on this photo to the right of the statue. All the houses in the background belong to the German village of Echternacherbrück.
- Charles Kohl (Rodange 1929),
Luxembourgian painter and sculptor
Sources & Information
Location (N 49°48'45" - E 6°25'34")
Item Code: lu054; Photograph: 18 June 2011
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt